Senator Mary Moran

Senator Mary Moran

Thursday 18 July 2013

Private Members Business in the Seanad: Special Olympics

 
 
Closing remarks;


I am delighted to have presented my Private Member's Motion in the Seanad on Special Olympics this afternoon. I hold Special Olympics very dear to my heart. As many people know my son, Cillian, is a Special Olympics athlete and took part in the track and field event in Kilkenny earlier this year. This was a truly eye-opening experience and a lesson in compassion, sportsmanship and comradery. It filled me with happiness to see that love and support of the athletes families and the commitment of the volunteers. Next year, Cillian will be competing in the Ireland Games in Limerick. This is such a once in a lifetime opportunity for me and my family and for our local club. We're all looking forward to it--no one more so than Cillian.

My motion specifically recognised the tremendous work done by the Special Olympics Ireland organisation, all of the volunteers, the families and most importantly the athletes. I believe that we, as legislators, have to recognise that now is the time to give back to Special Olympics. I will push forward from this motion and urge all government departments to identify where in their department Special Olympics provides a service and alleviates a financial burden in their department. We all have a responsibility for disability not just the Department for Health which my colleague Minister Lynch so eloquently stated during her contribution to the debate.

I was thrilled to welcome Peter O'Brien of Special Olympics Ireland, Jim Kelly parent of the athlete, James to the Seanad for the debate. James and his father Jim have been welcomed to the Houses of the Oireachtas on many occasions but this was a special occasion where they were able to visit together for the first time.

This was a Private Member's Motion about celebration, recognition and most importantly awareness. This motion was not about politics but unfortunately some of my opposition colleagues attempted to make this about their own party agenda and their own personal agenda.

Special Olympics Ireland has achieved so much since the World Games in 2003. I remember the excitement and togetherness that we all felt during that time. I truly believe we showed that our island was a caring island--that we promoted inclusion, equality, teamwork and achievement. I will continue to raise awareness on Special Olympics Ireland and the terrific work they do day in and day out.

No comments:

Post a Comment