Senator Mary Moran

Senator Mary Moran

Tuesday 13 May 2014

New Facility for Special Olympics Ireland at Abbotstown


 



 At the Abbotstown site where the new facility will be located.

I would like to  warmly welcome the announcement today by Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform, Brendan Howlin T.D., of €5m in funding for a new centralised Special Olympics Ireland facility at the National Sports Campus, Abbotstown.  The new centralised headquarters will bring together the Dublin, Leinster and Eastern Region SOI offices.

  “I have been working closely with Minister Howlin and Special Olympics Ireland over the past two years to see this project come to fruition.  I believe that by locating Special Olympics Ireland at our National Sports Campus alongside the FAI, Irish Institute of Sport, Irish Sport HQ and our finest sporting facilities is a mark of equality in Irish sport.  Special Olympics Ireland has long deserved this form of recognition and I am delighted that after many years of hard work they have received the go-ahead for a new centralised facility at the National Sports Campus.
 
 “I had the honour of tabling a Seanad Private Members Motion last summer celebrating the achievements of Special Olympics Ireland.  I distinctly remember calling on my colleagues to do what they could to contribute and give back to an organisation that gives so much to every community across Ireland.  Since this debate I have repeatedly called on my Government colleagues to view Special Olympics and the area of disability as a whole not just an HSE or Department of Health issue.  This sector and what Special Olympics provides should be supported across as many departments as possible and I am delighted that my colleague, Minister Brendan Howlin has announced this new facility in Abbotstown.
>
 “I would like to congratulate everyone in SOI on securing their new home in Abbotstown and wish them every success in the upcoming National Games in Limerick and into the future.

 “I have been involved with SOI over the last number of years and in my role as a public representative I have been honoured to raise their work in the Seanad.  I look forward to continuing my work with this impressive and enthusiastic organisation long into the future.”



No comments:

Post a Comment