Senator Mary Moran

Senator Mary Moran

Tuesday 27 May 2014

Haemochromatosis Awareness Event in Marshes SC Dundalk and Lourdes Hospital Drogheda on June 5th



Haemochromatosis is an iron overload disorder.  It is a genetic condition that causes people to absorb excessive amounts of iron into the blood which overtime may lead to serious organ damage.  

To help raise awareness about this condition, HSE staff from the Haemochromatosis/Venesection Clinic at the Louth County Hospital will host information events at the Marshes Shopping Centre in Dundalk and Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital in Drogheda from 9am to 4pm on Thursday, 5th June, 2014.


Staff nurses, Majella Jobling and Anna Capplis who will host the events said, “We would like to encourage members of the public to come along to either of these events where they can learn more about the condition, find out what are the symptoms to look out for and how the condition can be treated.”


Haemochromatosis is more common in Ireland than in any other country in the world and as many as one in 83 Irish people have the condition.  Those suffering from Haemochromatosis may have symptoms such as chronic fatigue, joint pain, diabetes, irregular heart beat, enlarged liver and loss of sex drive.  Anyone concerned that they may have the condition can ask their GP for a simple blood test to check their iron status and confirm whether or not they have iron overload.  


Treatment for the condition is simple and effective. It involves taking away excess iron from the body by venesection - the removal of blood, as is done for a blood donation. Treatment is ongoing for life and may require blood to be removed once or twice yearly depending on how quickly the iron is re-accumulating.


People living with this condition need to maintain a healthy, well-balanced diet with a reduced intake of red meat and should avoid foods fortified with iron, including some cereals and breads and avoid taking multi-vitamins/supplements containing iron or vitamin C.  As this is a genetic disorder, if someone is diagnosed, it would be important for their blood relatives to also be tested.  
 

The Haemochromatosis/Venesection Clinic at the Louth County Hospital provides a service to people in the Louth/Meath region.  Referrals are received from GPs who have patients with a confirmed genetic result for Haemochromatosis.  It is an appointment lead clinic facilitated by two staff nurses who monitor blood results and organise treatment/venesection as needed under the clinical guidance of Consultant Gastroenterologists Dr Sengupta and Dr Keohane.  The nurses provide ongoing education for the patients and their families regarding genetic screening of siblings and other family members and the importance of compliance with follow-up care and dietary requirements.


These events are being held to coincide with the Irish Haemochromatosis Association Awareness Day which takes place on 5th June, 2014.  The Irish Haemochromatosis Association is a support group for people who have this condition and their families see
www.haemochromatosis-ir.com for further information. 

1 comment:

  1. Unfortunately there are a lot of AIDS/Herpes denials on Herbal cures still out there. I did research on them after I was tested HIV/Herpes positive. I was so worried I was going to die soon. I continued my search again on herbal remedy for Std, then I found lots of testimony on how Dr Itua Herbal Medicine Cured HIV/Aids, Herpes Virus,Copd, Hepatitis, Diabetes, On websites sharing their testimonies, which made much more sense to me. All the authors pronounce Dr Itua As a man with Good Heart, I pick interest in their testimonies and I contact him about my situation then he gave me procedure how it works, I proceed after one week he courier his Herbal Medicine to me and instruct me on how to drink it for two weeks to cure. I receive His Herbal Medicine so I drank it for two weeks as I was told then after 2 days I go for a test I found out I was cured from HIV/Aids & Herpes Virus, I pay homage to him 2 months ago to his country to celebrate with him on his African festival which he told me it usually happens every year. I know there are lots of (HIV)/Aids Herpes Virus denials of Herbal Remedy movement, the same few doctors and they represent a very small fraction of the community. I could have died because I refused Natural Herbs Cures for so long, but luckily, by the grace of God I am alive to tell my story. Contact Info. Email...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/ www.drituaherbalcenter.com. Just in case you need someone to talk with. He cures the following diseases below...1. Herpes 2. cancer 3. HIV / AIDS 4. hepatitis 5. Bring my ex back 6. Leprosy 7. SARS 8. Bubonic plague
    9. Cerebrovascular disease 10. Lower respiratory infections 11. Syphilis 12. Influenza A-H1N1 (swine flu) 13.Ischemic heart disease 14. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease 15. Whooping cough 16. Perinatal complications 17. diarrhea 18 .. lung cancer,Diabetes,HPV,Hepatitis,Back pain and so many other diseases also you can visit his website to read more.

    ReplyDelete