Senator Mary Moran

Senator Mary Moran

Wednesday 10 December 2014

Today in the Seanad I call for an independent inquiry into Áras Attracta



Today I  called for an amendment on today's Seanad Order of Business for the Minister for Health to come into the House for a debate on Primetime programme that aired last night on Áras Attracta. 'Last night's Primetime programme displayed the disgusting lack of compassion and care for vulnerable residents by care workers in Áras Attracta.  I thought very long and hard last night before tabling an amendment to the Order of Business seeking Minister Varadkar to come into the Seanad to debate the neglect and abuse that was shown on the programme.  I am deeply  disappointed that the motion was not seconded and was not accepted for discussion.
'The Minister of State with responsibility for Disability, Kathleen Lynch TD will be in the House this evening to discuss the matter as a result of my amendment which is tabled for a half hour debate.
'I have been contacted by many people today who are deeply upset by what they saw last night. People with an intellectual disability are the most vulnerable in our society. I was sickened and ashamed by the physical and psychological abuse directed at the residents in Aras Attracta.
'I believe we need an immediate  full independent inquiry. I find it deeply concerning that Aras Attracta was found to be compliant in May.
'There are  many people who were affected last night as a result of what they witnessed on the Prime Time programme--kicking, force-feeding, slapping and harsh language.
'As a member of the Seanad and as Spokesperson for Disability, I feel it is my duty to bring this matter to the fore and to call for the Minister of Health to urgently attend the House.'

No comments:

Post a Comment