Senator Mary Moran

Senator Mary Moran

Friday 15 May 2015

Encouraging People To Vote On 22nd May

I am urging people to use their vote on Friday next, 22nd May. The people will be asked to decide on two separate matters in the upcoming referenda: marriage equality for people regardless of their sex and reducing the eligibility age for Presidential candidates from 35 years to 21 years.

I am encouraging people to get out and have their say on Friday, 22nd May. The people are being presented with two very important questions next week. Marriage equality has been one of the most pressing issues in recent times with various viewpoints advocated with great passion in this referendum campaign. I would continue to call for respectful debate in the last days prior to polling day.

I will be supporting the marriage equality referendum and voting yes next week as I feel strongly in favour of this issue. I believe that all citizens of this country should be treated and valued equally and particularly when it comes to the institution of marriage. I was proud to be part of the Constitutional Convention where we discussed the issue of marriage equality at great length and I am pleased that the matter is now being put to the people of the country. 

The second issue to be voted on is the reduction in the age of eligibility for presidential candidates from 35 to 21 has not received the same attention in the media. While I appreciate that there are many 21 year olds that may be mature enough to hold a high office, on a personal note I feel that the age for eligibility to run for president should not be lowered. I believe that the role of president befits someone with a wealth of experience, maturity and knowledge, who represents our country on the world stage.  I feel the present eligibility age has not caused problems to date and has suited our choice of more mature candidates. 

I would like to commend the many thousands of people who have become involved in these referendum campaigns on their dedication and tireless efforts over the last few weeks. I hope to see a strong voter turn-out on Friday next.


No comments:

Post a Comment