Senator Mary Moran

Senator Mary Moran

Tuesday 1 July 2014

€34Million Redress Scheme agreed for Symphysiotomy survivors

Pictured today with members of Patient Focus an SOS Ltd
With Olivia Kearney, Sheila O Connor and Geraldine Moore, Dundalk
With Geraldine Moore

  I am delighted to welcome today the announcement by Minister Reilly that a redress scheme will be put in place for women who underwent symphysiotomy procedures. Today's announcement will help bring closure for the many women who have suffered for decades following this procedure. I have worked tirelessly since entering the Seanad on ensuring  a satisfactory resolution  for those affected. 'The programme for Government committed to address the issue of Symphysiotomy and I am delighted that we have carried through on our promise. Unfortunately time is not on the side of many of these women who are now elderly but I am glad that the wrong done to them has now been acknowledged, while paying tribute to the ladies who are not here for today's announcement.
 
'I am pleased that the long-awaited 2013 Walsh Report and the Murphy Report commissioned late last year will now be published. I have repeatedly called for the publication of these reports on behalf of the survivors and have urged my Cabinet colleagues to publish Judge Murphy's report regarding a redress scheme as soon as possible over the last number of months. 
 
'I would like to pay tribute to the unwavering courage, bravery and determination of the survivors who have never given up hope and I am delighted that their day has now come. Many of these women continue to suffer physical and mental anguish and I hope that today's announcement will bring some comfort and closure on the many decades of suffering these women and their families have endured.
'I remain in constant contact with representatives from Patient Focus and SOS Ltd and have consistently advocated on their behalf since entering the Seanad.  While I welcome the long-awaited publication of these reports and the decision to provide compensation to these women, I will continue to advocate on behalf of the survivors as there is still work to be done and further details to be addressed going forward. The State Claims Agency has agreed to administer the scheme and it has estimated that it will take around 8 working weeks to put in place the operational details for the scheme with awards ranging from €50,000 to €150,000.'

No comments:

Post a Comment