Senator Mary Moran

Senator Mary Moran

Thursday 16 October 2014

Moran calls on Irish Water to examine charges for people in nursing homes


Labour Senator Mary Moran addressed the issue of water charges for individuals who are living full time in a nursing home setting and who are being requested to pay €62.50 per annum per servce (water/waste water). 'Following representations regarding water charges from families and individuals living in a nursing homes I submitted an Adjournment Debate which was taken by Minister Tom Hayes.  I highlighted the issue of people who are living in nursing homes being asked to pay a statutory charge of €62.50 per annum per water/waste water service even though they no longer live in their primary residence nor do they use the water services in the residence.
'Many of these individuals would have been in receipt of a Household Benefits Package prior to moving into the nursing home which would see them granted a €100 allowance.  In effect the statutory charge being placed on them will cost more than the charge they would be expected to pay if they still lived in the home, used the water services and were in receipt of a Household Benefits Package.
'Since this matter was brought to my attention by concerned individuals in the community, I have raised this in the Seanad, with Irish Water and within my own party.  I have written to Tánaiste Joan Burton, Minister Brendan Howlin  and Minister of State Kevin Humphreys regarding this matter.  I will continue to impress the importance of a fair and equitable water charge system on my Government colleagues and I will continue to highlight this matter at national level.'

No comments:

Post a Comment