Senator Mary Moran

Senator Mary Moran

Friday 5 June 2015

Women For Election INSPIRE Conference




I recently addressed the Women for Election INSPIRE Conference as the keynote speaker in Co. Cavan.  The INSPIRE session was titled 'My experience inspiring your success'.

I was honoured and delighted to be invited as the keynote speaker at the recent Women For Election INSPIRE Conference.  I had the pleasure of meeting many inspiring and accomplished women from north and south of the border. 

The conference provided a platform to discuss the reasons why I became politically active and my own personal experience in political life from the everyday to the extraordinary.  I discussed what it was like to run for office for the first time, some of the challenges I have faced along the way and the positive aspects of a life in politics.  

I was delighted to have the opportunity to share my experience and hopefully encourage some of the conference attendees to get politically active or consider running for election.  We need to see more women be not only encouraged but supported by both male and female colleagues to run for election. Women have a considerable and valuable voice to add to the political landscape in Ireland. 

Dáil Éireann and Seanad Éireann are resoundingly comprised of male politicians with around 16% of representatives in the Dáil being female and 32% of representatives in the Seanad.  We have an excellent opportunity in the next General Election to elect new and strong female voices to the Houses of the Oireachtas but need to leap over the first hurdle and encourage and support women to stand for election.  

I was delighted to share the more personal side of politics and my own political journey with attendees at the INSPIRE Conference.  My life prior to holding political office mirrors that of many women and my main message to them is while the job is not without its challenges, it is possible and so rewarding.


No comments:

Post a Comment